Honest Critiques

No, I mean it. REAL honest. Email your excerpts or full stories, up to 1000 words or so, to honestcrits [at] yahoo [dot] co [dot] uk. Synopses would also be welcome. My backlog is so daunting now that I recommend not submitting anything you are not prepared to wait a couple of months for a response on.
  • Click here to find out what this blog is all about.
  • Friday, November 25, 2005

    Just in passing...

    Via Charlie Stross' blog, here's something interesting for writers of thrillers: just how hard is it to 'shoot the lock off'?
    Torgo, 10:31 am

    3 Comments:

    Thanks, Torgo...glad to see that you're still breathing, BTW.

    I added that info to my Armed And Dangerous book by Michael Newton. Weapon facts are always a boon to writers of action!
    Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun, at 5:05 pm  
    While not getting into exactly how I developed an expertise in his field (I have to leave something for my memoirs...), it is a hell of a lot easier to kick down or bum rush a door than shoot off a lock. Plus shooting close range at any metal item that might itself fragment or ricochet the bullet or parts of the bullet - can be very hazardous to one's health.

    However, if is is a locked metal door, shooting into the keyhole with the appropriate caliber weapon can usually disable the lock.

    As for a locked metal gate with a metal lock on it - just climb over it.

    In more difficult situations, either a breaching shotgun or C2 charges will do the trick nicely.
    Blogger Brady Westwater, at 6:48 pm  
    Tahnks, Brady...I wrote it all down for future reference...my female protag is a real kick butt kinda girl!
    Blogger Bonnie S. Calhoun, at 9:59 pm  

    Add a comment