Honest Critiques

No, I mean it. REAL honest. Email your excerpts or full stories, up to 1000 words or so, to honestcrits [at] yahoo [dot] co [dot] uk. Synopses would also be welcome. My backlog is so daunting now that I recommend not submitting anything you are not prepared to wait a couple of months for a response on.
  • Click here to find out what this blog is all about.
  • Saturday, August 20, 2005

    Site problems

    Thanks to Ian, for letting me know something's up with the site. It seems if you are using Internet Explorer, all my apostrophes and quote marks are coming up as Euro symbols and things. I had not noticed myself because I am using Firefox.

    I will try to sort it out but in the meantime why not get Firefox yourself? It is free for personal use and vastly superior to IE in every department.

    OKAY: this is how to fix it if you're using IE. Click on the 'View' menu and select 'Encoding'. Now uncheck 'Auto-select' and look down the drop-down list until you see 'Unicode UTF-8'. Select that, refresh the browser, and it should all be displaying correctly. If not, let me know.

    If anyone knows where my little Edit Post and Email Post icons have gone, though... I never should have started messing with the template...
    Torgo, 1:37 pm

    6 Comments:

    The problem is with both IE and Netscape. It’s something you did in the past couple of days, because it’s not present in Google cache from just two days ago. —JW
    Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:51 pm  
    Nuts. Now it's doing it in Mozilla too, at least on the main page comment view. Please stand by while I tinker hamfistedly with the encoding settings.
    Blogger Torgo, at 3:55 pm  
    Hmmm. The apostrophes in my comment are appearing fine, but yours are screwy. I've reverted my template to how it was a couple of days ago, and changed the blogger encoding settings, but can't seem to fix it...
    Blogger Torgo, at 4:05 pm  
    Let's see...
    Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:12 pm  
    I never had a problem with viewing via IE until now. Today, those pesky ? are there.

    And Firefox screws with the Forward Motion chatroom, so no Firefox for me. ;)
    Blogger Gabriele Campbell, at 5:43 pm  
    The usual problem is smart quotes and emdashes produced by Word (and probably other Windows programs that are too smart for the Internet's good). Copying your post to Notepad and then into the browser window could stop more of the weird characters from getting in.
    Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:53 am  

    Add a comment